Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Back in Town...

Cathy and I took a little bed and breakfast vacation to Jefferson Texas. We stayed at the Whistlestop Inn in the Captain Quarters. They had an old rail car all fixed up, but here is a shot of our lodging. Very nice place and good people running it.

The town of Jefferson has quite a history as a river port, some civil war and Indian stuff and they have a Mardi Gras every year. Small, but a neat place with lots of antique shops. We bought books and old record albums as our souvenirs of the trip. Not real fancy dining avaiable around, just good solid catfish, steak, hamburgers and Mexican.

We took a tour of Big Cyprus Bayou in a river boat of sorts. The next day and this was a real bonus, the B&B operators had a canoe and let us borrow it. We had brought fishing poles so we took it up the bayou and drifted back. Cathy caught the most, I think she had 4 or 5 fish, a couple of them bass and I caught two bream.

Her is an old civil war ammo dump on the banks of the bayou. Seems that no fighting took place in the area but it was a huge manufacturing center for the Confederate Army. In some of the gift shops you could purchase just about item you needed with the confederate logo on it.

We toured the Excelsior Hotel. Famous guest included Presidents Haynes, Grant, Johnson, along with Ladybird (it was one of her favorite places) Oscar Wilde, Jay Gould and Gary Strong. You can stay in very same rooms, for not too bad a price.

Lot of Jay Gould, railroad mogul, history here. Cathy stands on the back of his rail car.

Here is me drinking from a horse fountain that was erected in 1913. It is the Greek goddess Hebe, the goddess of youth. My wife made me drink. I also noticed there is a local Mardi Gras Krewe with this name. That's a UFO in the background. They have been following and watching me everywhere I go. Can't even take a vacation. They don't usually let you get their pictures.

It was a real nice getaway. I will come here more often when I get out of school, maybe Mardi Gras 2008. Now it is back to work, get ready for school and so forth.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger