Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Turn on the Fans...



It has about got hot around here this past week so I guess I'll turn on the fans. Seriously folks no matter how large an image I create for myself in the online swath I cut through the internet with this blog these fans are not in my back yard. I spotted them from the window of an Amtrak train on a recent ride from Springfield, Ill. to Chicago. 

It's a pretty common sight to see one of these big blades in transport, loaded on the trailer of a big truck and speeding down the highway. I have seen small installations of these energy producing wind turbines but this is the first time I have see hundreds of them stretching into the distance across the flat green American heartland.  A local company, Lufkin Industries produces some of the gear box components for these units so this is a sight that demonstrates the growth of a company built on pumping units into a new field that promises jobs for our community. It takes money to build new energy sources and it looks like someone has put their money on the fact that oil is not forever, global warming is real and renewable energy is possible.  


Here's a photo of the train we caught as it pulled into the Springfield station. That dome in the back ground is the courthouse where Lincoln practiced law before he was President. We decided not to drive into Chicago because of the good public transport, the hassle of parking in a big, crowded city and we wanted to have fun riding the train. For the three hour trip a round trip ticket cost $40. I met a guy on the train who was riding into town to see the Astros play the Cubs. We had struck up a conversation because I had tickets for the next day's game. As I thought about it, this guy rides into town and back for $40, buys his baseball ticket, couple of bucks here and there for a train or bus around the city and a world of bars and restaurants available around Wrigley Field in walking distance.  I don't think I could do an Astros or Rangers game for that cheap driving my own car. Too bad we don't have this in Texas. When I see Rick Perry I'll thank him for the nice toll roads. 

Of course I found out later the game my train friend attended had a several hour rain delay so depending on your comfort level with sudden changes to your travel plan you may or may not enjoy the possibility of the unknown during the trip into town. 

Cathy really was excited about riding the train. So excited she had to take a nap. It was that comfortable. Better and roomier than a plane and although I have not ridden a Greyhound bus in 40 years I assume quieter and more peaceful. Plenty of coffee and snacks in the dining car and note the handy plug ins for your appliance. If you need wifi though you will have to up grade to business class. I think a general upgrade, when practical  would be nice to the way we do somethings. 

       Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger