Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Looks Like I Am Fired From the Country Band...

People ax me all the time, "Mudbelly how do you get into country music?" I always answer with a question of my own. "How do you get out of it?" Well I'm out. No hard feelings or anything just moving on. 

The first gig I played with the Back Porch Band was January 2011. Last gig was Labor Day 2014. Not a bad run but it seems like the last few months gigs have been pretty short notice. I don't work well with short notice. Of three gigs I played (this is not counting music played for church and a funeral) in October I had 4-6 weeks notice from the people that wanted me there. Those three gigs knocked me out of two Back porch Band gigs that came up after I had confirmed to play these other things. The band found a substitute and now he's the permanent bass player.  I'll probably substitute in the future if they need me. I think maybe the band has reformed with other new members so catch them playing around town when you get a chance. I'll still run their facebook page as I have info to post.  

As for me I am ok without being in a working band for now. Sometimes things go as far as they can. The cigar box guitar thing is going well. Well enough that I need to make some things with Christmas coming. I sold several last Christmas. I am also playing slide guitar in a blues thing we are calling the Cotton Square Explosion after the incident on March 2nd 1913 that blew up the Houston East and West Texas railroad depot that sat just off what is now Caulder Square in downtown Lufkin.  No gigs yet but we will get there. 

The question that was always asked was "Hat, where you going with that bass player?" Where that hat goes is what the future holds.



Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan Maxwell said...

For a while, now, I've felt like folks who ask for my involvement at the last minute have a pretty low regard for me. It seems like they are thinking, "HE couldn't possibly have anything better to do!"
As RUSH (Canadian rockers-not conservative mouthpiece) put's it, "Fly by night, away from here
Change my life again
Fly by night goodbye my dear
My ship isn't coming and I just can't pretend!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

Thanks for the comment. The wisdom of Dan. Who would have thunk "he's rocking Rush."

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger