Monday, August 31, 2015

Quick Canoe Fishing Trip...

I took the canoe out the other day for just a quick fishing trip. Actually it was a bit of a paddling experiment as I covered a bit more water than I have so far and more of the water was crossing open lake with a bit of wind. I got some good exercise keeping the boat pointed into the wind and I had hoped that there were some bass to be caught shallow on top water lures but this did not seem to be the fishing pattern. I did manage to keep my string of catching a fish each time I have taken the canoe out intact. 

Except for the shoreline in the background this looks a bit like someplace on Galveston Bay where you might do some fishing for redfish or specks. 

Here is a great egret I photographed fishing in the shallow water. There were at least 5 of these birds in the area. If you follow this blog I post photos of my favorites, the blue heron and the osprey but I saw neither of these species on this trip. Maybe I'll start liking these egrets a bit better. A quick look up on google tells me they were almost hunted to extinction for their plumes in the late 19th century and that the name of one of Buddha's best know followers, Shariputra signifies "son of the egret."

These egrets are meat eaters with fish, frogs, small mammals, reptiles and snakes on the menu. 


Here's a photo of my lonely fish. Nice sized green sunfish also known by the names google eye, rock bass or branch perch. That's some vintage fishing gear. The lure is an early 80s Cordell "little O" and that brown rod probably dates from the 70s. Folks that read here know I catch a lot of fish. I'd guess in a world of specialization they might not know that my fishing utilizes well proven, well used, multi species attracting techniques and equipment. 


The place I launched from was a remote forest service road that looks to have been flooded with all the spring rains. There were muddy spots and I only dared to park 30 yards from the shore. I was by myself so the canoe was an easy drag to the water. 

Stay tuned. With cooling temperatures fishing reports should get hot.  

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger