Saturday, August 22, 2015

Black Joe Lewis at Red 7...

We saw Black Joe Lewis at Red 7  in Austin, Tx last weekend. It was a benefit for a former band member, David McKnight  that has passed on. It was the first Austin gig for Black Joe in awhile and was a homecoming of sorts since he is from Austin. 

Joe picked up the guitar while working in a pawn shop in Austin. He plays in a sort of blues/punk/garage/funk/soul style that is an original sound. We all need to keep that in mind when we pick up an instrument. Screw a bunch of covers, play like yourself. That's what Joe does. We last saw Joe in Chicago almost a year ago at Riot fest and while they were maybe the loudest band I saw there (good club volume this no earplugs required for my already ring ears) I think this was a better show. I think on that COLD (I got better photos in Chicago click the link) damp day those Texas boys were a bit hunched up against the wind off Lake Michigan much the same as I was. They liked the 96 degree heat of a Texas outdoor courtyard venue much better. 
Great horn section. I bet these guys are all junior high band directors on their day off. 

Black Joe. 

That bari sax is a weapon of mass destruction. 


Other bands on the bill were Sweet Spirit, kind of a power pop Big Brother and the Holding Company and Mama K and the Shades.  
We did not stick around for Mama K as the natives got restless for Austin night wandering so away we went. Looks like all the cool bands are on Redriver and 7th street. Sixth street is everything I hate about the good old USA. 

Some photos by Rj Aromaz A Leguim



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger