Sunday, September 20, 2015

I'll Fix Your Flat Tire Merle...

It's a quote from an old Pure Prairie League song and it is the least I can do since I have got a lot of miles out of his songs, playing them many times while performing in country bands. This year at Riot Fest we saw Merle Haggard. A bit of an old choice what with Snopp Dogg, Iggy Pop and others but if you consider that two of Bob Marley's sons and Lee "Scratch" Perry also played the fest maybe not.


The reason I lump Merle with the reggae performers is because of the marijuana joke he made during his set. He has probably told this joke since the song "Okie from Muskogee" was released in 1969. Merle said "Now I'm going to sing a song about marijuana." The crowd roared approval. Merle replied, "Hey I didn't say I was going to give you some."    


Merle has not lost a step. Voice is in great shape, lead guitar playing through a Fender tweed style amp is sweetly slightly on the dirty side, fiddle playing is no slouch and the backing band is great. Go see him while he's still around and at the top of the game. 

Since Merle likes a bit of parody and humor himself here is the old Pure Prairie League tune: 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger