Thursday, November 05, 2015

A Cigar Box Guitar for Morgan...

Here is a cigar box guitar I made for Morgan from the box that held the cigars that were smoked at his and Ali's wedding. I know the wedding was a year and a half or so ago but I tried a fretted build for this and it just took a while to get my courage and skills up for thsi special box. 

Not really my first fretted instrument. I had made Katie a uke last year. My fret-less builds that are played only with a slide are really looking great and sounding good but it takes a bit more to make a good fretted instrument. The bridge has to be in just the right place for chords up and down the neck to play in tune. 

This guitar has an adjustable bridge so there may have to be some more tweaking done but I think with a bit of practice and a tempered tuning there is something to work with here and the instrument certainly looks good. 
 These cigars are rolled in Houston, Tx. 
Neck is ash. Takes a stain really well and is much prettier that the popular I usually use. 

 My asymmetrical headstock. Each one is different. Headstock snobs get get used to it.  

Fender style bridge. 

Of course it's electric. 


I probably won't build many of these because I am not sure I can turn out a really playable one. I can make one that looks good but it might not have the gigability of my slide guitars. I would make you one but I'd have to total up the extra cost of the store bought parts used vs the found and improvised stuff I usually use to get a price as to what one like this would cost. 

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's a beautiful instrument. Keep on trucking, AND I've renewed my endorsement for another five years.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger