Monday, February 29, 2016

Making Music at Church...

So most of you thought I was a rock star. Not really. Me and Cathy and a talented cast of supporting characters do play music at St. Patrick's Catholic Church each Sunday at the 5pm bilingual Mass. We have been doing so for at least 20 years, maybe more I think. I have kind of lost count. 

The credit for the long running success of this group must go to Cathy. She picks the music for each Sunday and usually sets things up for several weeks in advance This involves reading all the readings so that the songs fit Liturgically in the Mass, pulling the music from the files, making song sheets and arranging anything new. I have the easy part.  I polish picks, tune guitars, run the church sound system and record the homily for online posting each Sunday and help Cathy do some of this other stuff.

We are doing the music for the upcoming Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Vigil Masses. In addition to a bunch of music, some which is new to us we are drawing together all who want to sing and play so there are extra rehearsals each Sunday 2-4pm. Here are some photos from this past Sunday's rehearsal. I posted them to the Church Facebook but it was so much fun I had to post them again on my own little web site. 
There are a couple of kids in the parish that are really tearing it up on mandolin. Glad I'm playing bass. If I had had to be on Mando also it would be very embarrassing for me.  


Another mandolin player and good also! 








All are welcome to sing. This was just the first rehearsal so I bet this group gets bigger by Easter. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger