Monday, February 01, 2016

So Much for a Quiet Weekend...

It was recently my birthday. We made a reservation at a nice hotel in Galveston and thought we would spend some time rounding the museums and having quiet dinners. Well we made a little bit of a miscalculation. It was the first weekend of the Galveston Mardi Gras. While it was not what we expected to be doing but we accommodated easily. New Orleans Mardi Gras was mine and Cathy's second date some many years ago but it was my first time for a Texas Mardi Gras. I think Cathy had been to Galveston when it was first reinstated after a long period of inactivity. It was a fine time, not crowed and very laid back and kid friendly. I am sure you could have found trouble if you wanted but all in all pleasant. 

We stayed at the Hotel Galvez. It opened for business in 1911. It's very nice and has hosted everyone from Presidents, show biz people and Generals. We were on the second floor. When LBJ was a congressman he stayed in a suite on the second floor. I don't think there are any suites on the second floor now so it was pretty easy to imagine walking in LBJs footsteps. Here is a view from the front door. 
One great perk of the hotel was the courtesy bikes. We have gotten into the habit of biking around town and Galveston is a great, flat place to bike. We never drove a our car while there. We used the hotel shuttle to the Strand one time and hitched a Uber ride one time. 

Here is Cathy in the dining room. Lots of nice places tucked away places to sit and take a rest after sightseeing on the island. Another great thing was the hot tub. We usually hot tub at home each evening so it was great, just like the biking to keep up home habits. 


More on Mardi Gras parades and tuba players in the marching bands later. I will mention that in keeping with the hotel which opened in 1911 we also dined at Gaidos which I think opened in 1909 and The Original Mexican Cafe which opened in 1916. Lots of old stuff to see and soak up.   

2 Comments:

Anonymous Marcus said...

Hey man, I saw a post you made back in 2006 about a tuba you had bought and polished up. I wasn't sure if my previous comment would be seen way back there. If you still have it or were willing to sell it I would be more than happy to pay around $750. I could handle shipping and all that stuff. I'm just a high school kid bumming around for a nice used instrument for state solos in April. If you are at all interested just drop an email to marcus.collishaw.aaron@gmail.com. Thanks!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Sorry, not for sale but thanks for reading the blog.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger