Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Sabine River White Bass Run...

It's on like a chicken bone. That's the Sabine River white bass run. River is at a good level and hopefully we won't have the blow out rains like we did last spring so that the next month or two should be should be some good fishing. Here's some photos of the trip me, Cathy, Beverly and Donnie took over there yesterday.

For boating fishermen the ramp was closed and also the road to the river which is just as well because my street tire equipped F-150 would have stuck like an Indian arrow. My cell phone step tracker said 900' to the river from where we parked. Even with walking in some people got stuck.
Donnie makes a cast. Beautiful clean sandy banks. The cut you see behind him is for the boat ramp.  There was a small dragline scooper crane parked there and I can imagine it's quite a job keeping the ramp cleared. I looked back at photos from a year ago and the river has configured the sand in different ways since then. Very clean area. After my last creek canoe near Rayburn where I spotted as many household appliances as I did game animals I don't know if the cleanness of this area is due to human activity or the power of water.  

Cathy holds up a keeper. 

Beverly holds up a keeper. 

I got one! 

Cathy's rod bends again! 


Speaking of animals can you spot the river otter? 

Final score is 13 white bass. Not a lot of fast action but every body caught a fish


As you may know white bass is kind of a rough fish with a strong taste best eaten fresh. Good big fillets that take well to the grill or the blackening pan with plenty of spice and hot sauce. We ate a mess of grilled fish, Donnie and Beverly took home a meals worth and that probably left us with some good grilling fillets for a four person dinner. Just a few of these things go a long way. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger