Thursday, February 04, 2016

Sometimes You Meet People...

I will always remember the first time I was at Mardi Gras and I strolled into the French Quarter all flush with excitement and freedom of being in a place and time where you could go anywhere or do anything with an adult beverage in hand. As I stood with my drink to enjoy a group of  musicians busking to a crowded street party breaking out everywhere to their groove a guy slipped up beside me and commented about how good the music was. It was good and we stood there in an easy camaraderie he suddenly leaned in close and said "hey give me a drink of that!" We weren't that good of friends. I told him to get lost. He did. 

Nowadays I know that having an adult beverage anywhere anytime is not really freedom and I have long given it up so nobody at Mardi Gras wants a taste of what I am having. I still do make friends and last weekend in Galveston was no different. 

Met these guys. First the crawfish dude. Now understand there were a lot of folks in zany costumes but this guy was not just one more. He was working and his job was street talking folks into the booth selling boiled craws. He strutted around in a shy funny little dance step of a walk pinching people with his soft costume claws. We got plates of craws and sat watching this guy and several folks stopped and asked where we got them. I indicated the booth behind us. It dawned on me that most people on the street were just thinking this guy was just another crazy Mardi Gras character. After a bit he stopped to take a break and I mentioned he should tell folks he was selling crawfish instead of just clowning around. Maybe he did maybe not. He was from New York though he mentioned his dad was a BOI. He also said he did not like crawfish. Least he was not eating up the booth profits.  

Now the guy in the hat. I asked if I could get a photo of him and Cathy together, He said "yeah, sure" but then after the photo he said "Oh hell. I forgot I had that hat on. My wife made me wear it." First how do you forget and poor wife. Probably blames everything on her. 


I just had to fly a drone over and get an aerial view of the hat. 


So who are you hanging out with this week?
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger