Thursday, March 17, 2016

Live Music Lufkin...

Good show last night in good old downtown Lufkin out behind the Big Thicket Brewery. A singer songwriter Joshua Black Wilkins was on his way to SXSW and his stop in Lufkin was a little gig set up by Old Souls Food Truck, Jace, the brewery and who knows whoever else had a hand in a great night of music. 

JBW music kind of brings to mind Austin singer songwriter John Dee Graham, Gil Landry, who was a former member of Old Crow Medicine Show's solo work or maybe even good old folk singers like Woody and Leadbelly. It a genre we call "sad old sumbitch songs." He's good at it. Do you know how hard it is to write a sad old sumbitch song? It looks like my candidate is going to be elected President. I like the food at every restaurant in town. I'm a happy guy. It's durn hard to write a song like this and I admire the man that can write a good one.    


This looks like the same photo but it's not. So happens the best two I took look the same. 

This little Wednesday night concert brought to mind the good old days of the old Crossroads Club in Nacogdoches where bands like SRV, The Lotions, The Killer Bees, the Explosives and many more who made the Austin, Dallas, Shreveport, New Orleans, Houston axis stopped by for some East Texas fun on weeknights and then continued on for big city gigs on the weekends. Maybe we can get something going like that again around here. 


A little computer shading. Making art out of a blurry photo. 

JBW had three cds for sale. I bought them all and listened to them as I drove around to a couple of my different work locations today. They are good. Here's a video and as a plus it's just the kind of dancing I like. Be sure to check out all his stuff. There's a lot of variety. 


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger