Friday, February 10, 2017

Canoe Trip Marion's Ferry...

Took the canoe out today and launched at the old Marion's Ferry site. Lot of Texas history here as well as my family history. The Liberty/Nacogdoches Road crossed the river here. It was also called the Orcoquisac Trace which linked Doches with a Spanish Settlement and mission built in 1756 near the mouth of the Trinity River.

My dad's mom, Granny was a Nerren. John and Elizabeth Nerre came anbd settled at Marion's Ferry in the late 1840s. John was murdered there in 1852 and his killer hanged but all the Nerrens in the county sprang from this family. Here's the old town marker. It's no longer in the correct position but does note the Landing established in 1828, 200 buildings on site in 1831 and the county seat 1846-1854.

Beaver den on a creek. See the entrance at the water's edge?



Nice quite little creek. As usual we find the abandon appliance. That's been there for a while. I did not see and roads that led to this location. 


Beaver has been taking big bites out of this log. 


Cyprus knees. 


Caught two yellow bass. 


Also a blue cat. All fish hit a road runner jig. 


There were a couple of old boys fishing off the bank and one had caught a grinnel. The grinnel is prehistoric dating from the Jurassic to the Eocene period all the way up to the present. The guy asked me if I had eaten grinnel and was it good. I have caught a few but never eaten. He said he had not eaten it either but was going to find out tonight how it tasted.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger