Thursday, August 24, 2017

Lyle Lovett in Concert...

Last night the Angelina Arts Alliance hosted Lyle Lovett and his Large Band. It was a great concert in a really great hall. We had balcony seats and they gave us a fine view. 

Lyle gets lumped in with the music that's called country. He might actually be a real cowboy as he owns and competes quarter horses but I doubt he gets played on the radio and you probably won't see him dancing in the back of a pickup wearing a cap and sparkle butt pants for a music video. His music is a combination of Tom Waits style night club, Mose Allison, Bob Wills western swing, blues with touches of bluegrass and jazz. If you don't know bout all that kind of stuff keep on dancing in the back of the pick up.  

I got fair photos from the balcony. Not really a stand up and wave your cell phone type venue but then I did not get hit in the head with a beer bottle so there are some pros and cons but I managed  a few quick picks with my trusty canon.  . 


The bluegrass part of the show. The mando and fiddle player were featured on a couple of their own tunes that were great. Each band member kind of got a little solo or had a little entertaining interview with Lyle. Most have been with him since the early 1980s.  


This photo of the horn section is a bit blurry but notable because the sax player on the left, Harvey, played with Jimi Hendrix and Billy Cox in Nashville on their discharge from the army in the early mid 60s. Those guys went on to play Woodstock, formed the group Band of Gypsy and you know the rest. Harvey's resume reads like a who's who of the music business playing with anyone and every one.  

There is also a trombone player not shown. I could not see him from my seat I don't know, maybe a mysterious guy. Trombones are like that. 



We have some tickets for another big concert type show next month, the Tedeschi Trucks Band with Todd Snider and the Hard Working Americans opening. If you don't know these guys check them out. I hear people say, "there's no good music." They are wrong. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger