Monday, March 12, 2018

Spring Break Hike...

Warren and Coraline are staying with us a couple of more days since it's spring break. We picked up god child Audrey and took off for Boykin Springs and a hike on the old Sawmill Trail.

The trail winds through the pines, dogwoods, wild honeysuckle and runs along the bubbling creek and ends at the old Sawmill town of Old Aldridge. There are several graffiti cover buildings still standing that date from around 1903. By the 1920s the town was gone, the saw mill equipment moved on and the walls were left to the vandals. I don't mind the graffiti so much. It kind of adds a certain character but please, everyone should know by now not to litter.

The kids were great. I think it's 2 and 3/4 miles to the mill and then 2 and 3/4 back. I'd add that up but you do know that I'm a tuba player.

Please enjoy the photos.

Warren needs to grow into that hiking staff. 

Tough trail dogs. 



Climbing on concrete ruins. 


Cathy took great ipad photos of the graffiti. Follow her on Instagram as smallc.  

According to East Texas historian Bob Bowman the rooflines and archways were more ornamental that usually scene in sawmills. This mill was established in 1903 and barely lasted 20 years. I would imagine things moved on when there was not a tree in sight.   


Audrey and Coraline take a break to read a book in the quiet of the ruins. 



I saw a graffiti slur about a guy I knew of in high school. That's been there a long time.  



This is what the kids called the "scary Bridge."


Who knows the way back? 


This was the power house. 





Plans are already in the works for what we might do next spring break. 
  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger