Friday, March 09, 2018

Spring Fishing...

You can always tell who the dedicated blog readers are. Last night after returning home from a fishing trip Mary called Cathy on the phone. In addition to the purpose of the call Mary asked how many fish. That's what a Wallace is supposed to ask and Cathy said "17." Mary replied "that's how many you caught last time." That's exactly how the blog reported it. If you also remember how many we caught last time keep reading.

We spent about 9-4PM on the lake so it was a full day of fun. The fishing was a bit slow but the fish were good and we weighed a bunch of these catfish in at just below and just above 2 pounds each. I expect the shallow water bite to heat up with some warmer temperatures. Water in the lake is 60 degrees. Here's a bunch of cats bumping their heads in the live well. 

One more Cathy with a catfish photo. 


Our fishing partners. Most places we fish have nearby osprey nests. There were three birds sitting the nest and fishing the same waters we were. They are just like fishermen every where. Every now and then one flies by, fish clutched in claws showing off the catch.

Note the water bottle hanging from the tree. It hung there when the water got high a couple of years ago. Probably a floating jug line type set up or maybe a marker for a trotline or a sunken fish reef someone made. It's hung in a tree six feet above lake pool level and I guess that's a good place for it.  


Lake is 1.89 feet above full. Here's a photo of the back water. I think if I looked back through fishing reports and photos of when is the best time there is going to be more greenery on the trees. When the water warms a bit I'll get the canoe into some areas like this. 


Maybe the best photo I have made lately. Call it the "Cracker Tan" or maybe "Sunshine Saltine." The sun shines through the saltine onto Cathy's right hand to create a mysterious catfishing apparition.   


Of course we fried some up nice and fresh and then put 3.5 pounds of fillets in the freezer for later. 




Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger