Thursday, October 31, 2019

SFA Tubaween...

Last night I attended the Stephen F. Austin State University Tuba Euphonium Ensemble "Tubaween" concert. Looks like the SFA low brass group has what they call Octubafest where in addition to this show they also do a thing at the old Stone Fort and make an appearance at the local brewery. They announced that their next upcoming performance would be Tuba Christmas in December. 

There were two different groups. It's called Tubaween because for the most part everyone had some type of costume. This was the Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble directed by Erasmo Herrera. Erasmo played with Ross on The Pearl Fishers euphonium duet at our  last Lufkin Community Band Concert. Couple of the numbers performed by this group were the Game of Thrones Theme and New York, New York. 


Here's a little closer look at the tuba section which as a tuba player myself always catches my greatest interest. There are a lot of different kind of horns here. Back in the day, and I have been playing tuba since 1969, I never knew a tuba player that owned his own horn. I was lucky to always be furnished a good school issued instrument. Sometimes the old marching sousaphones could be a little spotty but in junior high we had 3/4 size Conn tubas, in high school we had Bessons and in college I played a Miraphone. When I participate in the internet tuba community I see young men trying to make a decision on what horn they should buy to continue their tuba career. We all came up on B flat horns. I might have known one E flat tuba player but if you continue to continue to participate in symphony and wind ensemble groups at the professional level some will prefer F or C tubas. It seems some purchase their own horns in hopes of these jobs.

When I went to college I had a $1400 used car and a $59 stereo. I was pooping in the tall cotton. I was issued a good quality school horn. Looks like some of the Chinese brands, which get good reviews, but I have been told by a band director that repair work can be difficult, will run a student $3000 to $5000 roughly. The Bessons and Miraphones, old world quality, will run $10,000 to $15,000. Of course there are used horns. No reason a tuba properly maintained cannot have a life span of 100 years. My record bell King 1240, made in USA is 83 years old.    


Here's the other group called the Tubonium Ensemble. It is directed by J.D. Salas. They do have a Tuba Christmas scheduled in December. Tuba Christmas is a world wide event began in 1974 and is usually a come one come all event. I participated in the Houston Tuba Christmas last year. I am working the days that the Houston group and this group have their events scheduled but I kind of caught the vibe that this Nacogdoches event might be more a performance platform for this group vs a come together fun day like in Houston.   


I urge you to check the SFA web site and our local Angelina Jr. College web site for Fine Arts performances. These events are sometimes free, or nominal admission, fun and good quality. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger