Thursday, March 19, 2020

More March Catfishing Reports...

The catfish were on point yesterday. They started to bite almost from the first cast. Once again Cathy is nosed up into the hole in the bushes we call the horseshoe and I'm not really practicing social distancing but fishing the creek edge out back of the boat. We fished about 3-5 pm. Wind was from the south, the best direction for this spot and that breeze rippled water along with some cloud cover had the cats liking the shallows. 

Last time we fished here was calm and sunny and the bite was slower. No fish were along the creek channel that day but today they were and in fact I had a bite, set the hook, and while at first the fish did not seem big as I leaned into the fight the line parted. The break was above my slip cork stop and I did not see my float surface again. If you recall previous reports I caught a 7 pounder from this spot. 

Final total was 29 cats with maybe a third or less egg bearing females. 

We got home, having spent probably more time trailering, launching, cleaning and cooking that we did catching. For cooking I tried a baked fish rolled in cornmeal That was on the box of Zaterain's fish fry I prefer. Lightly oil fish, roll in meal, spray top of fish with cooking spray and bake 475 till fish flakes. It was great and in fact Cathy says if we switch to this instead of fried we might outlive or retirement savings. 


Lake is down a bit and Hanks Creek boat ramp is open after being closed due to high water last weekend we were off. Corps of Engineers has canceled tournaments on the lake for now because of concerns with large gatherings. Rumor has it that Closure of Forest Service boat ramps are on the table as the Covid 19 picture develops. 

Looks like rain might keep us off the lake today but you know you can stay tuned here for the best lake reports.   

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger