Thursday, March 23, 2023

Angelina Civic Band in Concert...

 On March 21st The Angelina Civic Band combined with The Angelina College Symphonic Band played a movie soundtrack themed concert called what else but "A Night at the Movies." It went very well and I think we have had a great sounding group composed of old guys like me, volunteers from the community, retired band directors, folks that are currently band directors, high school students, current Angelina College band students and faculty. It's been under the direction of interim director Jimmy Battle, whom I have known since I was in the Lumberjack Band at Stephen F. Austin State University. A new full time director, who will be taking the reins soon has been hired. Paul Berler, a sax player joined that section for the performance and will direct some of the tunes at the British Invasion Concert on April 30th at 2:30 in the Temple Theater. 


I used my new to me King 1135 upright bell horn for this concert. It had a great sound on the Temple Theater stage. I miss using my 1936 old bell front King 1240. People tell me it's part of my image and personality and they are not quite used to not seeing me with it but the new horn at approximately 50 years old is vintage enough to suit me and it's a small size that while meant for the student player is easy for the aging player to handle and very free blowing. My old horn did not have a case. This one does so walking into a gig carry a case kind of makes me feel like a professional rather than someone with a terminal case of imposter syndrome

Speaking of imposters I notice that tribute bands are all the rage. From the Eagles to Journey to Prince to long dead 50s rock & rollers to the Grateful Dead there's somebody out there playing the old music and dressing the part. Maybe with my old horn I could get in a Bunk Johnson Tribute Band. 


We won't play bunk at the next concert but there will be old tunes by the likes of the Beatles, Elton John and Queen. 

In the meantime enjoy the Henry Mancini tune from the movie Breakfast at Tiffaney's Something for Cat arranged and with trombone solo by Jimmy Battle.   

If you can put together a horn you are welcome to join the Civic Band. Rehearsals at Tuesday at 6:30 in the Angelina College Band Hall. 
    


 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger