Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Playing With The Old Town Brass...

Last Thursday I got a call right before lunch. The tuba player for The Old Town Brass Band was sick and couldn't make the gig Friday night. Could I fill in? My son Morgan plays drums in the Brass which are a New Orleans style traditional jazz band so I said sure. 

The band leader, Max sent a google drive file and I got to work printing a book, listening to recordings on YouTube and playing along. Probably about 30 hours to get familiar with 35 or so tunes to play for Swing in the Streets, an event in downtown Nacogdoches, Tx with the brass band playing and Nacogdoches Swing Dance giving dance lessons. 

The Old Town Brass was a great group of guys and girls. They made me feel right at home. I can't say I played every tune perfect but I kept up and the holes were at least as strong as the beats. I felt pretty good about the gig afterwards and nothing is as priceless as playing music with your kids in a band. If you recall me and Mary were the rhythm section for the old Back Porch country band together when she was in college. 

My view for the Swing in the Streets.  

Morgan on drums and band leader and trumpet Max setting up for the gig.  


I stole this photo from the Nac Swing Dance facebook page. You can see about half the band and the dancers. Always good to have dancers. 


Thanks to the Old Town Brass for letting an old guy sit in. I had fun. 

Here's the folks I played with. Connect on facebook to keep up with their shows. 




 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger