Friday, March 24, 2023

Ricky Skaggs at Temple Theater...

Well I've seen Billy Strings but I never saw Ralph Stanley or Flatt and Scruggs but after seeing Ricky Skaggs and band at Temple Theater in Lufkin, Tx. last night it's bound to be pretty close. It was a hot show.   
Ricky has had a pile of #1 hits, played with all kind of country music royalty from a young age and has not been afraid to experiment with various rock musicians including Phish and one of my favorites, Jack White.   

Skaggs and band did not mind talking about their Christian faith and they played all those old songs like I like with the imagery about crossing over the river, the golden city on the hill and those that have gone on before and are waiting for us. Ricky has had a pretty recent heart bypass surgery and complained about his torn rotator cuff at this show. When stuff like that happens it will make you go a little deeper into things.   

The musicians in the band were those aliens from another planet that rip off blazing fast solos without taking a breath or flubbing a note. 

That banjo player, in addition to his skills seemed to be on stage without a tuner. I know I don't let my 98 year old B&D Super Banjo out of sight of a tuner.  


The band allowed how this was a great stage and they hoped to be back next year. Whatever the Angelina Arts Alliance is doing they are doing it right bringing in great shows. It is our second year of season tickets and while this was certainly world class I hope they continue to be creative in their programing with new things all the time.  

 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger