Thursday, August 03, 2006

The mysterious head...

Another story from the weekend in Jefferson:

We browsed a bunch of antique shops. I found a cover (no record inside) from an old 78 rpm record, some kind of tribute to the trumpet player Bunny Berrigan for $1. It will look great hanging in my stereo room. This is the kind of thing we look for. Bargain junk that no one else has a desire for.

We also bought a bunch of records for $1 each. Can't get those new anymore.

Here is something Cathy found. It cost $5. The only info the proprietor of the store had about it is that it came from an estate sale in Berea, Tx (population 74) which is the location of The Colony, a Seventh Day Adventist settlement dating to the early 1900s.

It is aluminum and looks like it should be a bookend of some sort.



What makes this so unusual you ask. Well Cathy has encountered this image before. It was when she visited New York last year in the Bulgarian Bar, a place where Eugene of GoGol Bordello (see their link on sidebar) sometimes DJs. Apparently a larger version adorns the wall in this bar. Here is the bars business card. I think the web address is a link to a petition by the bar to regain it's liquor license.

My guess is that this is not a famous person, not art, but some sort of novelty image. But what is the story? Why a bar logo in New York and why was it found in a one horse Texas town? Where is the other bookend?

Help me out here art fans.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's Zeus. He had lots of affairs, so that would explain parts of it. He also wore a crown around his head when he drove a chariot..
Or more likely a Slavic god.
Have no idea why it was in a Texas antique shop.
Or maybe it's just an old hippie.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger