Sunday, August 12, 2012

What's Old is New...

People always say, "Mudbelly, what's some good new music, or new music is no good anymore," or something like that. Sometimes they come over and beat my ass after hearing my selections for them. I can agree that while my taste is broad there can be music that makes you feel like slapping some one. I think most will perceive this recommendation as a good recording.

 I just got David Lindley's new cd. Mr David is an old guy. He played on a lot of Jackson Brown and Crosby/Nash records among others in the70s and puts out lots of good stuff of his own and is still doing it. He's mainly known as a slide/lap steel guitar player and also plays a lot of weird offbeat instruments to create a Reggae/Mexican/Middle Eastern/hippie bluegrass vibe.  I have not listened yet, saving it for a drive later on today but here is the package it came in. I would like to imagine Dave in his finest polyester, hair very very greasy sitting on the floor addressing this. Really I have had indications from previous orders from Mr. Dave that it may be his wife that does this part. Mr. Dave just takes them to the post office. 

So what's not to like here? Funky instruments, slide guitar, Fender tube amps and wretchedly ethnic musical influences. I try to be like this myself. On Coraline, my granddaughter's last visit I sat down on the couch with my baritone uke. Coraline ran and fetched my brass slide for me. I don't play the uke with a slide. At least I haven't yet. Never know from where the idea for new music will come. 

By the way, since I now have Dave's address I might send him a Christmas card. No, not today silly billy. Since you now have my address, send me one too. 

 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger