Saturday, November 22, 2014

It's a Good Weekend for Entertainment in East Texas...

It's been a good weekend for entertainment here in East Texas. Remember those old days when you sat at home and said "there is nothing to do." They are gone. 

It started on Thursday night with the Stephen F. Austin State University Theater Department production of the Monty Python play "Spamalot." It was a great show right down to the live orchestra in the pit. Cathy saw the original cast in this play on Broadway in 2005 when traveled to see our son Morgan and the Lufkin High School Band perform in Central Park. She said this performance was every bit as good as the broadway show.  We have seen several productions at SFA this year and all have been very good. The college has some great talent to work with. 

Last night at the Pine Knot Music Co-op Eliza Gilkyson performed. She is an Austin based Grammy nominated singer songwriter. Maybe our second time to see her and it is always been a great show.  She comes from good songwriting stock. Her father was Terry Gilkyson, a folk musician who had many hits of his own as well as having others record his songs for hits of their own. You might remember the tune from the movie "Jungle Book" The Bare Necessities." He wrote that.  Here's a cell phone photo I snapped at the beginning of the second set. 


The side men that backed her were great. The mandolin player on the left and I don't have his name off hand is from the Grammy nominated band Greencard. I bought one of their cds. The guitar player was out of this world. Very unguitar like sound and I don't know how he got it but it fit the music perfect. He also played resonator and lap steel. His name was Mike Hardwick. Here's a clip of Eliza from youtube. 


All this fun will continue tonight with the famous western swing band Asleep at the Wheel playing as part of the Angelina College concert series. They been around for awhile. I have lost count of the times I have seen the Wheel but two times stand out. I saw them open for Waylon Jennings in the SFA coliseum in 1974. I saw them at a rained out Willie Nelson kind of thing one time about 1976. They were the only band to take the stage in a downpour. With no electricity they played some kind of set (best I recall) backed by string bass and sax. I have had a few gigs go like that myself.  

The Wheel is probably a sold out show but if you have to get an old time western swing fix a great little band the Sugar Moons are playing and swing dancing at Standpipe Coffee House tonight. While the Wheel is famous the Sugar Moons are top quality.  

Head out and have some fun. 



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger