Sunday, April 19, 2015

Ok How Bout Some Blues...

I write about music a lot. Most of the time I am seeking out new stuff but lately I have had the chance to catch a couple of blues bands and it reminds me of the days when I listen to blues all the time. Did I same all the time? 

As I study about I have seen a good many of the greats. Right off hand I can list B.B. King, Albert King, Earl King, Koko Taylor, Son Seals, Bobby Blue Bland, Buddy Guy, Jr, Wells, Gatemouth Brown, Bo Diddley, Sonny Terry and Brownie Mcgee as well as a host of other more modern folks and then has always been plenty of unknown guys tearing it up and going to the well in small unknown clubs across the land. Lately I have been able to catch Little Freddie King and Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials.

Little Freddie King is the cousin of Texas Blues great Lighting Hopkins but he gets his name form playing like another Texas Blues great Freddie King. Little Freddie made his first record in 1969 and his second in 1996. He has played the New Orleans Jazz Fest for 42 years. We saw him at the Hogs for the Cause BBQ Fest in New Orleans. 
Rocking combo, guitar, harp, bass, drums. 

Would I look good in blue? 

I like his little mojo charm, a skeleton man hanging from the mike stand. Everybody needs one of these. I tried it one time myself. I use the horns of a long horn cow and hung them from my amp. The drummer in the band got careless and sat on them and then they would not let me bring my horns anymore to the gigs. 

Sharp dressed man. 

New up is Lil Ed. Ed is the Nephew of Blues great J. B. Hutto. I just missed seeing JB once when he played the old Crossroads club in Nacogdoches. He passed away shortly after that gig in 1983. J. B. was a slide guitarist in the old Elmore James style and Ed is not far removed from this.  We saw Ed at Rosa's lounge which is in Katie and Peter's neighborhood. It's an old famous place. It was Ed's 60th birthday and I got a piece of his cake. He had a bit of trouble out of a woman at the show and he asked Peter to handle that. Peter did exactly the right thing. He did not get involved. 
Ed's material is quite topical and comical. 

Good band, they just returned from a tour of France. 


Best and coolest bass player I have seen lately. 

Happy Birthday Ed. Hope the thing with the woman worked out. 

  .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger