Thursday, November 26, 2015

Not Encouraging Black Friday...

I have been busy making guitars for sale. Christmas is coming and I have done well the past couple of years during the gift giving season and out of 5 recent builds one is boxed to ship and one is promised to a buyer. I have new builds handing in Sound Techs Music Store and a new opportunity has arrived. You can find my cigar box guitars in the gift shop at the Museum of East Texas. 

Here's a photo of the triplets. 
These guitars are made from boxes Katie shipped from Chicago. They have a new sound hole feature. It solves a problem I sometimes have when boxes have a blemish such as these that had a price tag and the tobacco warning label right on the front. It's hard to remove stickers without making an ugly spot so what I did was create a large screened sound hole but cutting out the unsightly areas. 

The screened material sort of looks like what you might find in an old style Catholic confessional booth. The border is the humbucker pick up mounting ring that you might find on say a Les Paul Style guitar.  I have two more boxes like this so there will be a couple more along these lines.

All are the same, but little different things here and there and surprisingly enough each one sounds different. As has been my experience you never can tell what a buyer thinks sound good. The things I prefer are often rejected as each person has a style and a sound they like and I think this is a great thing about these guitars. It makes it individual thing, a stamp, a badge, a sign on your soul. 


Thanks to my cousin Dixie who works at the Museum of East Texas for introducing me to the director, Ms. McDonald and for allowing my guitars in the gift shop. A portion of the proceeds go to benefit the museum. It also looks like there might be more opportunity from this association with the museum in the future so stay tuned. 

There is another great little guitar on my work bench but it got held up waiting on parts. look for photos next week.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger