Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Can't Judge a Book By It's Cover...

Ok you may be tired of reading about this and I might get through with documenting the bands I saw by the next time Riot Fest happens but here is more on the bands I saw at Riot Fest in Chicago last September. Besides I can't resist saying something about a dude who has a brother named Catfish. I'm talking about Bootzilla himself, Bootsy Collins. 

Despite the crazy looks Bootsy is an old school funk bass player who started a band in 1968 with his brother Catfish. In 1970 they became James Browns backing band and stayed with him for 11 months which was long enough to play on some of Brown's most notable recordings. Bootsy went on to George Clinton's P-Funk and has collaborated with everyone from Doc Watson to Buckethead. In other words after you been in James Brown's band you can do what you want. Bootsy is a member of the rock and roll hall of fame.  

Good big band, horns, singers, everything. 

If you are wondering about the costumes Bootsy takes a page out of George Clinton's play book by having several alter egos and a complicated mythology which best I can tell has something to do with an alien rock star who becomes weirder. 

So now you might have made up your mind that Boots is not your thing "he's too strange" just google up his facebook page. You see, me and Bootsy are "friends." He is a regular buy on facebook. You should check him out.  He thanked all vets from their service, wished his friends a happy birthday and he was sad when his dog died. 


Don't judge a book by it's cover. Maybe this tune is not real representative of all Bootsy's work but it's my favorite. 




 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger