Saturday, April 02, 2016

Screaming Blues Cigar Box Build...

Here's something different, but not exactly new. It's a cigar box build with a Duncan Designed single coil pickup. I've made a couple of single coil pickup guitars. One was kind of an experimental thang, an early build that I think I am going to dissemble for the parts since I have moved on into a more complex stage of building and the other is one that is my fish fry, crawdad, craft show player that never goes out of tune.  

The Duncan pickup is a higher quality pick up that came out of a Squier Deluxe Strat that I removed for the sake of installing some other after market pickups. I have two more of these so expect two more guitars like this. I also have a couple of late 60s eary 70s Harmony guitar pickups that will be used in future projects.   

It's a Latin Gold Cigar Box. These cigars were made in San Antone starting in the 90s but are out of business now. Seems the idea was to have a cigar store where the cigars were made, smoked and bought but I have no idea why that business model stagnated. 


 There is no tone or volume control. The pick up is wired right into the jack with a capacitor jumping it for the custom mudbelly tone circuit. It's ready to scream. 


I checked ebay. The Duncan Designed pick up is a $20 value. The photo below shows a place above the pick up that cracked with cutting of the box. Does not affect play-ability. With the single coil magnetic pick up it should do well with tube amps and rock band volumes. I have had a busy day job this week so I have only given it a run through to make sure everything worked and it played clean and quiet into a 1968 Bandmaster Amp. . 


By the way it's 4 strings instead of the usual 3. I tuned it EBEG# low to high. It's frettless and plays with a slide. 


It's for sale. Due to higher quality parts, the pickup, I am asking $90. 

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Greg Gibbs said...

I want it or a custom order. Watched your video. Want one and a crash lesson ,Please. 635-1610

9:32 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Sold! Thanks Greg. I am pretty busy at work so give me a couple of days maybe we can meet Tuesday evening or later in the week.

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger