Friday, September 29, 2017

Tedeschi Trucks Band in Concert...

Last week we took an evening out on the town of Houston with Morgan and Ail and saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band in concert. If you don't know and you should that it's a husband and wife team of Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks. They got a big funky soul/southern rock/jazz/blues/micro tonal/world music/Coltrane influenced band that really goes to town. 

Now I gotta tell you, I never saw Lynyerd Skynyerd and I never saw Molly Hatchet. But I sure as heck saw B.B. King, Albert King, Earl King, Buddy Guy, SRV, Lonnie Mack, Santana, Bo Diddly, Sonny Landreth, Brownie McGee, Jimmie Vaughn, Robert Randolph, Jr. Brown, Gatemouth Brown, Johnny Winter, Max Reynolds and a heck of a lot of other guys and gals I can't bring to mind right now and I must say that Derek is pretty much a beast. An Alien. Maybe the best there is. He was raised to it. His Uncle is the late Butch Trucks of Allman Brothers fame so he has been around soaring melodic take the jams to the next level all his life. He plays in open E tuning, fingers and slide. 

Susan is a power house singer with a blues career all her own before her marriage to Derek. She is no slouch on guitar either. Use Youtube. There are some clips of her throwing down with the big boys that leaves nothing on the table. 



I think the first time I saw Derek was about 13 years ago at the Howlin Wolf Bar in New Orleans. The later Col. Bruce Hampton was also there. Me and Bill Cooney stood right in front and thought Derek's drummer was going to jump from his drum set on to us. The next day at the Jazz Fest Bill found himself hanging with Derek while they watched sax great Ornette Coleman. Derek confided in Bill that he hated it when his drummer did that. 


Next time we saw Derek was at another jazz fest and he was married to Susan by then and this big band was really starting to roll. 



Horn section and backup singers who also took lead vocal turns. Who could not like a band with a trombone? 


Here's Derek and his brother Duane who was in the opening band Todd Snider and the Hardworking Americans as well as holding the drum chair for Jam Band Widespread Panic. They jammed on "Statesboro Blues." I have heard that the new release has a killer cover of the Beatles/George Harrison tune from Sgt. Pepper's "Within You Without You."  


Don't ever say there is no good new music. There is just music you have not heard yet. 


     

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...


Got a couple of Clapton's Crossroad Festival DVD's. Derek Trucks is right there with Eric. Susan was there I didn't know they were married then but I remember she caught my ear when I heard her sing the Blues. I think she was hanging out in Austin then.
Yea, you have seen some of the great
ones.



10:03 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Yeah, I wonder if he has to hold back when on stage with Eric.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger