Thursday, March 22, 2018

New Horn...

Well it's not really my horn but I am becoming very attached to it. It's a horn Rose found in a thrift store for $20, an e flat alto horn. It's the mini tuba looking thing on the right side of the photo. 

One valve was stuck as well as all the tuning slides. I took it to American Band Instruments in Tyler and they did a nice repair job. It plays very well. They warned me it might not play in tune and it does seem a little flat but that might just be the operator or maybe the mouth piece. The only mouth piece they had at the shop that fit was for a trumpet. It works. It's a 10.5 C and I must admit that as a tuba player this is the most comfortable trumpet mouthpiece I have played. 


It's made by the F.E. Olds Company of Fullerton California, same town where Fender used to make guitars. Olds is a company that dates back to 1909. It appears to be a 60s vintage instrument. It's e flat, kind of like an alto sax. If I play what my brain and fingering says would be a b flat on tuba my tuner tells me it's an e flat on this horn. Looks like transposing is a fourth. Looking online I spotted one of these for sale at $225. Seems these might have come with two tuning slides so It could have been an F horn but I am pretty certain this horn has the e flat slide. 

I found out from old band friend, Kim that the company he works for , Eastman makes one of these. He advised me a method book to order and I have ordered it. 

As I say it plays well. My main horn is a 1936 tuba and the 70s baritone horn could be described as having a loggy response. The notes leap pretty easily out of the bell. I'm gonna practice. One of these days Rose will get it back. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger