Thursday, April 12, 2018

I Think This was a Scam or Something...

Saturday morning we are getting ready to go to the lake. Misting rain, but we are not discouraged so preparations are underway to brave all elements. As this is ongoing some guy, he has a girl with him pulls up in my drive way. Has what seems to be a legit concern but I soon suspect a scam of some sort.

The guy introduces him self as Austin Barra, there is a girl in the car also, and as if it builds trust he claims to be a youth minster from a church in Tenaha and he is working for some kind of oil field supply company to recover a couple of GPS units that are on rental from another company and that some hand who drug up has made off with. He says, maybe not stolen but just kept by mistake. He shows me a photo of the units. He then shows me a photo of a google Earth type shot of my property that shows a pin dropped right where my pick up is parked in the drive way. He thinks they are in my truck.

I say well, have a look. I have been at the lake several times maybe someone threw them in the back of my truck. He looks there, I'm hitched to the boat and with my permission he kind of looks and in a glance around sort of way at my boat garage and the wood pile. He asks questions have we worked in the oil field, been to West Texas and stuff like that. I don't, I haven't. He gets in the truck and pulls up in the neighbors driveway asks them stuff but does not stay long there and he's back at my house. Here's the guy, of course I made his photo for the blog.

On his return to my drive he thinks the GPS thing is right around. I encourage him to look in the wooded strip of property along the road, the trash can you see in the right of the below photo of his truck just in case the item is tossed there.  He don't look at these places but gets another guy on the phone he claims is the guy that hired him to track down and I talk to this guy, answer same questions about and oil business I might have done and I inform that his man is not really looking in places I have suggested all that well. He is just questioning me and that if it's stolen goods the high sheriff might be better to be involved. This guy on the phone don't want the sheriff involved. He just wants his stuff back.


He seems to get a bit impatient. I am getting my R.E.D. Neck business on because I feel he may not be on the level. I put him on the road with the threat I will call the sheriff. I asked for a photo of his drivers license. He refused this and I would have also but he did let me photo an expired security ID.  


I made sure the house was locked up tight and left for the lake. His truck was sitting in the church parking lot on the farm road when I drove past. I feel like I acted pretty quick getting photos of his ID and plate but what I wish I had done was drive to the lake, get him to follow and see if his GPS pin on his phone still showed in my truck. 

I have not seen this guy or truck around again. Anybody got and input on what he might have been up too? 
 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger