Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Lufkin Community Band Concert...

My newest musical adventure is playing with the Lufkin Community Band. It's been a fun time. Our spring concert was this past Sunday. The band backed soloist Jimmy Simmons on a concert that was titled "A Musical Tour." 

I stared with the group in March. It's been good for me. I'm getting my lip back, playing out of old etude books at home for rehearsal and in stark contrast to Meat Sweat, Goat Rodeo and drum and Tuba Christmas gigs I'm working on being a background ensemble player. 


Director David Smith. He's a tuba player and picked a good selection of music for the concert. 


Dr. Smith who's resume is too long to list here has been director of Bands and President of Lamar University as well as playing in the Stan Kenton Legacy Band. 


The group. Players come from all around East Texas. The Temple Auditorium stage is a great sounding place to play. A nice sized audience attended. It was recorded and a cd will be available. 


The group adjourns for the summer and I plan to keep working on my chops and I'm going to take my horn to the shop to get a few things fixed as well as having that old 1936 King Recording tuba sonically cleaned. I bet that's never been done. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger