Tuesday, May 08, 2018

New Orleans Weekend...

Along with friends Suzi and Charlie we went to New Orleans for the second weekend of the Jazz and Heritage Festival. We are all die hard jazz fest fans having been many times over the years and as far as I can tell this is the first jazz fest since 2010 for us. My first Jazz Fest was 1983. Cathy came along on the 1987 trip. There have been other years but we have lost count. This year I made 762 photos during the four days of music and fun. I am going to be blogging about New Orleans for awhile. I'll  start with our accommodations first. 

We stayed at an AirB&B just a short walk from the fairgrounds gate. I think Zylia, the owner calls it the Fairy House. We never met Zylia but she often texted and once when a bathroom plunger was required we texted and she texted it's on the front steps so she was some place close though we never saw her. There was a private back part of the house. 

Here Cathy stands outside the gate. There was only room in front of the house for one car. Neighborhood permits were provided as to discourage outsider fest parking and with my permit I was able to park at a nearby park. We never moved our cars all weekend with good restaurants close by and the fest just down the street everything was handy. We ate at Spanish, French inspired, Italian and Southwestern style restaurants that were all easy walks away. 


Decorations were simple but with a certain style of do it yourself art. 

Our bed room with grand piano in case a song is needed. 

The bed. Mosquito net was not necessary. Place kind of reminded me of my old house in a lot of ways. Creaky floor boards, crazy art on the walls, a good outside sitting area and more made us feel right at home. 

I did not get a photo of Suzi and Charlie's bedroom. It was slightly smaller but just as funky. 



The outside bar. We made it a coffee bar and sat on the nice patio listening to local radio WWOZ and getting our caffeine on for a day at the fest.   



Outdoor decorations like at my house. 


Painting behind the bar. 


More art. 

The courtyard. Looks like it might have served as a garage at one time so this house is not ancient by some French Quarter standards but it's been here awhile. The unpainted doors in the back corner hide an outdoor shower. Very nice after a hot day on the dusty fairgrounds. I am thinking about adding one of those around here.

There was a small indoor bathroom with a deep old tub that we never used. I mean we used the bathroom but not the tub. The doors were just curtains so it is a good thing that we have all known each other going on 40 years and don't mind those accidental walk ins that are hard to avoid in such a situation. 


I have used old musical instruments for decorations before when I felt like the price of repair was going to be too great to bear but I kind of felt sorry for these lonely drums left out as yard art in the weather. Probably at one time these shells were good and all that was needed was hard wear and heads.  


We felt very at home because it's kind of like our house. Zylia texted us often as I think she might have been nervous about our satisfaction. She said people either love the place or run away screaming. We loved it.

This is in what they call I the Bayou St. John neighborhood. We went to the Quarter one time to seek out a special gift for someone and it was a $9 Uber ride. Too far to walk but given a lazy day with plenty of time a nice bike ride. In fact we may stay in this area again and bring our bikes to expand the range of activity possible

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger