Tuesday, May 30, 2023

If you don't Bugle, Who Will?...

 My neighbor has elk in his pasture. On crisp, chill fall nights they bugle. I hear them but because it's night I don't see them and I imagine these large animals ducking their mighty heads adorned with heavy antlers and coming up reared to the sky as they let out their high pitched trumpeting call. 

I had a co worker once. She was not my co worker for long and I've forgotten her name which seems to be one of those talents that have gone out of my head, remembering co workers names but I recall in the discussion of some situation, probably the work, she reared back her head and in a bugle of her own containing  the authority of the bull elk exclaimed, "Aint that some buuulllll shxxxx!" It was a strong expression, so strong I thought "I'm going to use that myself" and if I was all internet up to date I'd make a tiktok video of people saying this instead of writing out a sanitized version thinking "in case my grandchildren ever look up from their own tiktok videos on their phones to read this blog they will say,  "Aint that some buuulllll shxxxx! Pop Pop was being so cute!"

Sometimes I get these female fans that follow me on insta. I look at their profile and it's Hailey382240 who describes herself as "mother of three, trying to find myself and just looking for fun." The account is private but having been there and done that I say "aint that some..." and don't click any further because after all that is kind of a background plot of this blog playing softly like Muzak in an elevator as it runs up the shaft of a building with uncounted stories. Of course the same thing happens to me. The woman with the three kids did happen and the uncounted stories will eventually run out but the friend requests I send out and they look and see all that stuff about tuba and it's decided "aint that some..." I do not want clogging up my newsfeed every day. 

I saw a bunch of old friends this past weekend and it was fun. A couple of them, I have never much thought about other than to occasionally wonder, "they still alive?" and that I'm pretty sure are not connected to me on social media in any way came up and said, "you still playing that tuba?" If they had looked at my social media they would not have to ask that question but instead I decided they were recalling a party that took place about 40 years ago at the old Press Road House where I played a sousaphone with an electric rock band. I can zero it to 40 years ago because I know I did not own an electric bass at the time which is why I played tuba with an electric rock band and that although the serial # on my Fender Bass dates it as a 1983 model I am pretty sure I bought it in 1984.

I told my friends, "yes, still playing the tuba, now more than ever and in fact sometimes I get paid to play it." They both said, "aint that some..."

So if you read this blog and did not think  "aint that some..." here's my venmo so you can help me save up for the chill fall nights. 






         

         

    

 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger