Sunday, April 30, 2006

Why the fuss...

Got to jump in here with a current event comment. Why the fuss over the Spanish Star Spangled Banner? I heard it early that morning, and thought how cool. By the next news broadcast it was getting blasted. Looks like a discussion of the fact we have a war hymn as a national anthem might serve us better in these times but I'll save that for another day.

I'll admit I'm a little biased, I play in a bilingual English Spanish church group to start with. I'm always glad to hear how a change in language often breathes new life into what had become a moldy oldie. I believe in treating the flag right also, as a former scout leader I've taught a bunch of kids how to fold a flag, how to raise it, how to do a flag ceremony, how to see that it is properly displayed. Sorry, I can't help it if I've been around, you can't skin me for not being a patriot, I've done everything you see, it's typical for blog writers to see all, know all do all.

All this brings to mind something I learned about Johnny Cash a few weeks ago. With a big hit movie out ("making money is not what being deads about") it is real easy to learn things about Johnny right now, some of them you might not want to know, but I discovered that Johnny recorded all his hits singing in other languages.

Now Johnny was a creature of capitalism, he bought a new caddy every year and I'm sure other kinds of cars also as well as all the people in his employment did too, so he was about rolling the "Cash" in, sorry about the pun. He did hold some values and his songs speak to people in special ways and he knew they would no matter what the or nation. Everything is everything you know.

So I see it as a good thing that things are translated. I see it as a good thing for people to come here. How are we going to understand and get to know each other? The high and mighty just want to drive a wedge between all of us down here so we will fight and hate each other so we serve their greedy purpose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger