Sunday, November 23, 2014

Asleep at the Wheel...

We saw Asleep at the Wheel this weekend at an Angelina College Fine Arts Series concert. I counted up and remember that I think I have seen the Wheel 5 times dating back to 1974. The band has been in business 44 years so if my math is correct (I am after all a tuba player by trade) that means I see the Wheel on average every 8.8 years. 

I do seem to recall seeing them in Nacogdoches one time when a couple of the members came to a party at someone's house after the show. Being the band has had 90 members in these 44 years I can't exactly remember who those guys were but they were nice people, musicians travelling on the road lonesome and a long way from home. 

I snapped a couple of quick photos from my balcony seat and they turned out fair. In this one Ray Benson, the only original band member and undoubtedly a very talented, creative, drive person plays guitar behind his back and gives that pair of Fender Twin Reverb amps behind him a good work out. Two Twin Reverbs is know world wide as a pair of Texas headphones.   


I could not recall what year that was when I partied with the band members. Possibly the mid 1980s. I did not party with them after this show but looks like I am on track to party with them every 24 years or so. 
  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger