Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Here's a New Vision...

Here's the new vision. Just studying my various influences has led me the the idea that a whole body of music needs to be composed about the catfish. It needs to have lots of tuba and banjo in these pieces. I am just the man for this job and I have begun by composing the "Catfish March."


It's a looped track. I played all instruments. To begin I played a Kingston tenor banjo of unknown vintage (50s-60s?) through the looper. I then played my 1936 King tuba for the bass track. I laid a third layer of me playing the cajon drum. Next I played a solo on a kazoo I bought in the French Quarter Market, a solo on a  DeArmond hollow body guitar and a harp solo all in real time. All sounds ran through a 1968 Fender Bandmaster Reverb amp. I recorded two passes and picked the one I liked best. Here it is. I like it and hope you do too.
The Catfish March


This sets me up for other compositions such as the Catfish Serenade, Catfish Fiesta, Catfish Lullaby and so on. Just to show that composing catfish music is a legitimate art form here is a new blues artist to the scene, Gary Clark, Jr playing an old, old tune that goes way way back "Catfish Blues."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger