Saturday, December 09, 2023

Angelina Civic Band Christmas Concert...

On Dec. 3rd the Angelina Civic Band played it's Christmas Concert. It was a good one and under the direction of Paul Berler the band is larger this year and played a very good selection of Christmas favorites along with classical pieces that showcased a wide variety of time periods and styles.   

We have quite the tuba section this year. In addition to little old me we have Kyle, a former Texas A&M Drum Major and Phil, who is former Air Force Band. 

Once I was at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival standing along the edge of stage right and I looked into the the back stage area and I saw legendary blues man John Lee Hooker also standing there and watching the band. He was due to play next and when he turned and saw me watching him he gave me a big smile and wave kind of like I'm doing here. I don't know what that meant but if you emulate your heroes how can you go wrong?  


Cathy said she enjoyed the concert because singing along was encouraged on the Christmas numbers. She also said that during the Sonata Pian E Forte by Giovani Gabrieli and published in 1597 that she closed her eyes and imagined the great cathedrals of Europe. Isn't this what songs are for? 

Here's a complete list of the program.    

The spring concert, scheduled for March 3, 2024 will have an Americana theme. Our music library has been digitalized and music has been emailed out to band members. Rehearsals begin Jan 16th, each Tuesday in Hudgins Hall on the Angelina College Campus at 6:30.  




I don't have a recording of the band but here's Sonata Pian E Forte and it looks to be performed on the traditional instruments you would have heard in 1597. 



 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger