Tuesday, December 05, 2023

The One Man Show Fishing Report...

I took a day today. Cathy was busy with her regular counting of the church collection (referred to by Parker as stealing the collection) so I went to the lake by myself. I even forgot my cell phone and it was a nice change from the business of the past week or so where we babysat, played two funerals, played a civic band concert, bought a car, went to the Rudolph lighting, enjoyed the downtown Christmas parade and rehearsed for an upcoming Drum and Tuba Christmas Show. I don't think I left out too many things. 

I don't think there's much that's more beautiful than heading East down the lake on a winter day. I make this same run every time I go fishing so I have seen this many times at different times of day, all seasons and in every type of weather condition available to us here in East Texas but something about crisp, cool morning air brings better focus.     
I caught a couple of nice catfish quickly and it seemed like a mess was going to be quick work but it turned into one of those days where you catch one fish here and one fish there. Since the lake is at least 5 feet low I fished mostly deep spots. I noticed from my fishing blogs that 2018 was a year of high water and shallow fish in late December. Might try that on an upcoming camping trip. 

I did check one of my duck hunting spots. The season is closed right now for migration purposes and due to open this weekend. There were about a dozen teal loafing in my spot mid morning and when the flew several big ducks jumped up from somewhere else. Very pretty sights against the clear sky.   


Final total was 9 cats, nice fillet size with a meal planned Friday of Dad's famous Creole topping over broiled fish and baked squash served on a bed of noodles. That's for the big people. I'll fry a few pieces with hushpuppies and fries to keep the grandkids busy. 

I am the truck backer while Caty runs the boat on the trailer. All by myself I managed to remember how to do that. Maybe I'll do this more often.  

 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger