Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Making Stuff...

I need an instrument that's kid friendly to sell. It's for down at the museum where kids see my nicer guitars, like it but mom won't shell out. I mean that's cool because my guitars are really a grown up thing. It's not something a parent wants to step on when they get up to let the dog out. So I took some advice from the museum about what a parent would spend in the gift shop and I came up with these. 

Yeah, I drink a lot of coffee and really it's not all even this kind. Here we have a coffee can one string diddley  bow. It's all acoustic and you play it with a slide. Made from parts I had laying around and found items the only thing I bought was a pine stick for the necks. This batch produced in 2 hours time will pay me about $10 bucks an hour. I share this info in case you kids out there are like thinking about being an artist or something like that. Luckily I worked 9.5 hours at my day job today so the lights will stay on around here.  

I am trying to come up with a kid friendly slide that sounds good and is not metal. I think I have something cooking which is good because at this price point I can't give away copper slides. 


So next I came up with this. 

It's a one string, acoustic, banjo tuner and played with a slide. Not a bad sound at all. 



It's a Collin Street Bakery Centennial Tin. Collin Street Bakery is a famous maker of fruit cakes but you may remember the story of the accountant who from 2004-2013 embezzled 16 million from the company to fund a lavish lifestyle. This instrument is about the opposite of lavish but I plan on making a demo when I get around to it.  


Seems there is a pattern to my craft fair selling. One good guitar sells, something that's reduced sells and then some low cost items sell. I'm going to try this in some of the brick and motor locations I have guitars. The craft fair stuff sells because I am playing it. We will see if mixing items at different prices sells itself. 


New business cards are in. We saving the planet by having them on recycled paper. Same as the old one but the back reads "free lesson with the purchase of guitar". Heck, I'll give you a lesson even if you don't buy a guitar. 

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dad you should bring some of your cards when you come visit in May. I busted out the two instruments you made for us at our last brunch and all my friends are interested.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dad you should bring some of your cards when you come visit in May. I busted out the two instruments you made for us at our last brunch and all my friends are interested.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger